Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Strawberry-rhubarb chutney: a recipe

strawberry rhubarb chutney
Strawberry-rhubarb chutney, not compote
I've been calling this recipe a compote all week but then had a second thought.

It could be a chutney.

(I honestly didn't know what makes them different.)

Hello, Google.

Here it is: chutney is made of cooked fruit and vegetables (not just fruit) and contains vinegar. A compote, on the other hand, is simply fruit cooked in sugar syrup.

So this strawberry-rhubarb bad boy is in fact a chutney.

I stand corrected. And so does the title of my post now.

This strawberry-rhubarb CHUTNEY is very easy to prepare and so perfectly seasonal right now. I served it with some roasted chicken breasts (it cooks while they do): absolutely the perfect accompaniment. I'm sure it would also be fabulous with pork tenderloin.

And if I freeze enough strawberries and rhubarb right now, it may make a lively and unexpected appearance on the Thanksgiving table to go with our deep-fried turkey.

(Sorry for the post brevity but I'm actually just back from vacation ... IN PARIS!)

Strawberry-Rhubarb Chutney
(Adapted from a recipe torn from a page in a magazine -- I wish I could give more credit, but there's nothing on the page that indicates what magazine it was!)

Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries, trimmed and halved
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons white wine or sherry vinegar

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and the fruit is all broken down and chunky.

No comments:

Post a Comment