Monday, November 29, 2010

Deep-fried turkey: a Thanksgiving adventure

Nothing says "Thanksgiving" quite like cooking the big bird in the driveway with a fire extinguisher nearby.

This is the fourth year that we've fried a turkey and I think we finally got it right. The first year we did it strictly for the novelty and found it a bit dry. After that, it became a challenge.

Year two was still too dry. Year three we went so far as to cook up a marinade and inject it directly into the breast meat -- still not very moist, believe it or not.

This year, we read the instruction manual a wee bit more closely and lowered the oil temperature just a tad. Success! An amazingly moist bird.

Not to mention the quality family time spent on the driveway.

I mean, while you're waiting for the turkey to achieve that crispy-yet-moist delectable goodness, why not launch some skeet into the woods and see how many trees you can hit?

Hope your turkey day was just as much as fun.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you've specified you're the *yankee* kitchen ninja, or after this people would assume that you live in Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god. This is te coolest thing ever. I love adventure cooking! I'm planning to do some in NZ but I'm not sure I'll scale these dizzy heights!

    ReplyDelete