Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wahoo's-inspired chicken and rice bowl

Wahoo's-inspired chicken and rice bowl: dinner in less than 15 minutes
A few weeks ago, I wrote about a wicked quick but delicious sausage and spinach rice bowl, which triggered the memory of the Wahoo's-inspired chicken and rice bowls that I used to make.

(Why I stopped making them, I don't know. I can only imagine they seemed too simplistic once I started getting more adventurous in my cooking. Boy, that was stupid.)

I also mentioned that thinking of those chicken and rice bowls (and writing about them) was inspiring me to try making them again. And that I might post on them if I did.

Well, here ya go, my pets.

Don't bother scanning down this post to look for how-to assembly photos: there aren't any. This is too easy a dish to prepare for all that.

So easy, in fact, that it doesn't even need a formal recipe. It's just layering.

The layers consist of cooked rice, cooked chicken and a handful of black beans, topped with a generous amount of fresh pico de gallo. Add some salt and pepper to taste and you are done. That's it!

This week, I took a class on Monday night that had me out of the house from 6pm to 9pm. Since there was no way Mr. Ninj could be home before 6pm, coupled with the fact that we actually like to eat together, I put off dinner until 9pm (honestly, we never eat before about 8:30 anyway, so it wasn't a hardship). I started some boil-in-bag brown rice (10 minutes) as soon as I got home and assembled the rest of the ingredients (store-bought pico de gallo helped): we were eating by 9:15.

If you're a vegetarian, either leave out the chicken or substitute some tofu and you, too, can share the Wahoo's love.

Do you have any go-to, absurdly speedy recipes like this on which you rely? The Ninj wants to hear about them.

4 comments:

  1. "Fast food" is always better when fresh! One of my favorite new fast dishes, vegan even, is Chickpeas with spinach & dill.

    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tsp garam masala (can probably substitute other spice blend)
    1 med-large onion, thinly sliced
    1 can canned chickpeas, drained
    1 pound spinach- frozen or fresh.
    1/2 cup minced fresh dill weed
    1-2 lemons, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste
    Directions

    In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garam masala and stir to flavor oil. Add onion, and saute until soft about 7-8 minutes, add chickpeas, and toss to coat in oil (1- min) While that is happening, chop the dill, juice the lemons (must be fresh) and either clean & chop fresh spinach and cut away thick stems OR defrost the frozen spinach. Add undrained spinach and dill to skillet, and cook until spinach is tender (if using fresh spinach) or to heat spinach through (if using frozen). Stir in the fresh lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm. Only about 15-20 minutes and very delicious!!!

    Let me know if you try this Ninja!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, Robyn. Not only would it be a great quick meal, I think it would also be a yummy side dish to a roast chicken. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second post I've read in the past week singing the virtues of the bowl. I really need to do something like this for my lunches--easy + substantive is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embrace the bowl: easy and healthy? Total no-brainer!

    ReplyDelete