Monday, September 27, 2010

Applesauce cake: a recipe

I attended a board meeting at my alma mater this past weekend. While these meeting weekends are always full and tiring, they are also a lot fun because of the dynamic group of women with which I serve. So I figured, what better way to show them some ninja love than with CAKE? I mean, who doesn't love CAKE?

This is a double-whammy Kitchen Ninja recipe because it incorporates the crockpot applesauce I made earlier. And I baked it in a Bundt pan because I believe that, just like its other 70s counterparts, bellbottom jeans and crocheted ponchos, it's a classic that deserves reconsideration.


Applesauce Bundt Cake

Ingredients
2 cups of walnuts, golden raisins and dried cranberries (use whatever ratio of each you like to make 2 cups total)
2 sticks (1 cup) butter
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. cinnamon (use less if your applesauce already has cinnamon in it)
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 cups sugar

Directions
Cream sugar and butter. Mix in half of the applesauce, nuts and raisins. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and baking powder, then add it to the butter mixture and mix well. Combine the baking soda and the remaining applesauce (it will sort of fizz up a little) and then add this to the batter. Mix well.

Pour into a well-greased, 10-inch Bundt (or tube) pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 75 minutes or until it feels solid when you tap on it.

Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for about 20 minutes. Invert the cake on the rack, remove the pan and let cool completely.

Note: I don't usually add any kind of glaze or powdered sugar to a cake like this so I can get away with calling it "breakfast bread" or some other such nonsense -- makes me feel less guilty for eating cake at 8am.

No comments:

Post a Comment